MY JOURNEY


Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

(Psalms 119:105 ESV)

Whether I am rejoicing or in deep distress; succeeding or struggling; laughing or weeping; I am striving to hold on to the truths of God's Word. And I want to share with you.

So... grab a cup of coffee or tea...and join me in my journey...

Friday, July 18, 2008

July 18, 2008

Discipline

Several years ago – we were at Walmart… and I was intently looking at the exercise dvds. Studying them. My husband came and asked me, “What are you doing?” I told him – I was trying to find the exercise video that would actually jump out of the tv and pull me up off the couch and make me exercise. Of course, he just laughed and walked off. Probably because he knew how many exercise videos that we had at home. He knew I did not need a new one. I just needed to use the ones I had…. or the treadmill… or the ab machine… or the rubber band workout… or the small free weights … or whatever else that we have bought through the years that I thought I would use.

If only one would make me…. Then it would have to be easier.

Then there is the issue that I posted about a few days ago... Clutter. Paper clutter, specifically. I wanted someone to write me and give me the quick fix. Maybe I just wanted someone to tell me what my daughter did… JUST THROW IT AWAY. All of it. That would fix the problem. However, there is the fact – that I cannot throw all of it away. I have to go through it all. But I had the file folders. (mine are even color coded) I have the desk and the credenza and even a file cabinet. I just had to do what needed to be done. No easy way out.

Sorta like my Christian Life. It all takes discipline. It all takes just doing what I know I need to do.

I need to exercise to take care of this body. I feel better when I do. I just struggle getting started. Almost like there is a barrier there.

I need to continue de-cluttering my office. It will not happen by itself. I function better when I am organized. I just struggle getting started. Almost like there is a barrier there.

I need to “Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth.” ( II Timothy 2:15-Amplified) I am prepared for the day’s battles if I am studying the Word… if I am a workman that has no cause to be ashamed… if I am rightly dividing the Word of Truth. I feel better when I do. I function better. I just sometimes struggle getting started. Almost like there is a barrier there.

And in reality there is. It is a spiritual warfare. The enemy does not want us to excel in any area of our lives. Whether it is exercise to take care of the body (the temple of the Holy Spirit) or whether it is taking care of my earthly home and possessions or whether it is studying the Word to learn more about my Savior and be better equipped for service. So, the battle rages.

Sometimes you just have to do it.

You just have to get up and go out for the walk –
You just have to sit down at the desk and start sorting –
You just have to pick up the Word and study.

You will feel better when you do.

The battle is on – but we are overcomers because, “… greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.” (I John 4:4b)

What do you need to do today?

Just do it…

Holding On…
DeeDee

3 comments:

Michelle C. said...

I agree. Everything takes work. If you want results - you gotta do the work. It's not going to happen on its own. I will JUST DO some things that are on my list and stop talking about them and begrudging them and just do it!! THANKS

Tricia said...

Great post DeeDee!

There are so many things that we just need to do, but really what I just need right now is a good, sound nap!! Then I can get up and do all those things I need to do, ;)

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Great post! In our house, the saying is "buckle up and do it!"
oh the things I need to do! lol
Thanks for posting this!