MY JOURNEY


Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

(Psalms 119:105 ESV)

Whether I am rejoicing or in deep distress; succeeding or struggling; laughing or weeping; I am striving to hold on to the truths of God's Word. And I want to share with you.

So... grab a cup of coffee or tea...and join me in my journey...

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

July 16, 2008

The Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword.


This last week has been one emotional exhausting week for me. There are a couple reasons for this, but for today’s purpose, I am going to share the general situation I am in.

I have a friend that I have known for years. Since childhood really. He and I have not had much contact through the years, but this last week I heard about some serious struggles he is having with his relationship with Christ. He and I started emailing back and forth about his questions, my questions, my answers. The emails have been long, deep, and challenging. We have kept a spirit of conversation, I don’t want it to seem as if we were at odds with each other, but we have also kept true to what we each believe – and those are as different as night and day.

Monday this started. Wednesday, my husband sees how even my eyes look tired as I deal with this and asks that painful question. “Julia, are you fighting this spiritual warfare without Jesus?”

I just walked away. I didn’t want to answer the question. The truth was, yes, I was fighting for three days, a battle that is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, powers, and other rulers of darkness. I was fighting without my Sword! I was fighting leaving my Shield lying beside the bed! I was completely unarmed!

Wednesday night, before we went to bed, my husband made sure we had some time together with Christ.

Thursday night, we were eating with friends, and discussing things along these lines. My friend said to me “Oh, I will be praying for you, because you are in a battle, probably along with his family and other friends, but you guys are battling for this young man’s eternity. Truth is, the enemy won’t like that. He may come after you!” For the next two hours, I was sick to my stomach. I am not sure if it was the realization that I am now on the front lines…. Or how ashamed I felt to have left God, while I was presenting His case! We were at Red Lobster (one of my favorites) and even then I could barely eat! (That should tell you how sickly I was!)

So, here I was, not only feeling like I could offensively go into a battle without my armor… but also thinking I could defend the fiery darts being shot at me without and protection.

We are reading in Hebrews – and we crossed the scripture at the top of the page. In my head, my question was “Why do I leave my double-edged sword on the ground?” If I were going to fight a “flesh and blood” battle, I might forget to take some things… its just the way I am. However, I guarantee my weapon would NOT be the thing I left behind. Not only would I take it with me to the battle, but I would be training with it before the battle so that I knew how to use it in the best way properly.

On Friday morning, I sent the next email. It was the first email I sent knowing that I had fully prepared and got my armor on before going into it. It was also the first email in which I felt like I had something worth saying!

The conversation continues. Pray for my friend.

What are you facing? When do you have those moments of feeling “too strong,” or “too busy” for getting your armor together before walking into the battle field?

So, this week, as each of us face different battles, I encourage you to go find your Sword, Shield, Helmet, Shoes, Breastplate…. And don’t forget to gird those loins (whatever that means)!!

Holding On...
Julia

8 comments:

Krista said...

Awesome reminder! I will be praying for you while you are engaged in this spiritual battle for your friend. I'll be praying for your friend to.

Keep up the fight (but don't forget your sword!)

Standing in the gap,
Krista

Darlene said...

Great post! I find myself in a lot of battles these past 9 months. Battles I thought I would never be in. And oh how they can catch you unaware!
Thanks for the encouragement and reminder to put on the armour. I may not take mine off for a while. LOL

Don't give up...I know I am not. We can't loose hope!

Blessings,
Darlene

Shanita Waters said...

Awesome Post! Great Reminder! Thank you so much for obeying the Spirit of the Lord and sharing this with us. I will definfately keep you in prayer. The enemy is really mad now becuase you are blessed, your friend will be blessed and I know that all of us prayer warriors in "blogger world" will be praying for you guys.

Blessings....

Jenifer said...

Hey, I am praying for you and for our friend.... I hate to know he is going down this path and if I can help in anyway just let me know!
LOVE YA!
Jen

Tricia said...

I know what you mean about being on the front lines... I have been there since March 29th... It is a hard and tough place to be, but you are so right about being prepared and having our armor and weapons, it has made all the difference for me. At times I have felt myself slipping, getting depressed, and it is at those times the Lord has also reminded me that I need to ask people to pray for me, so don't forget that either1

Praying!

Julia said...

Thanks so much guys! The battle is still going on - I go from frustration, to trying to rest, to getting back up in the fight again... Keep praying.

DeeDee said...

continuing to pray for you and with you.

Keep that armor on!
Love you

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you still get these comments or not. I needed to share something crazy about the way God works.

A few days ago I was praying about a breakup. My ex gf is suffering through some things and I came across a bible plan about what she faces which gave the verse Hebrews 4:12 to use to fight the urges. In Church that day I prayed "God if you want me to send this to her then put this verse back in my life today. Should I hold on or let her go? And prove to me these signs you are giving to me are about her and not just random signs". ( I have been getting a lot of prayers answered in strange ways recently)

Well later in the day, I am reading my bible and I feel like a strange sensation come upon me. I grab my iPhone and 30 seconds later I'm staring at your blog. Your blog titled "Hold On" With the main message straight from "Hebrews 4:12" and the blog post written on July 16th. Take a guess which day of the year is my ex's birthday. Another link brought me to this blog. I didn't search for anything specifically.

I said this prayer in 2014. I bet you never guessed when you wrote this in 2008, somehow 6 years later it would answer someone's prayer in only a way God could.

Isn't our God awesome?

-Chris