MY JOURNEY


Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

(Psalms 119:105 ESV)

Whether I am rejoicing or in deep distress; succeeding or struggling; laughing or weeping; I am striving to hold on to the truths of God's Word. And I want to share with you.

So... grab a cup of coffee or tea...and join me in my journey...

Thursday, July 17, 2008

July 17, 2008

Bearing A Grudge or Extending Forgiveness?

Eph. 4:32 AMP “And become useful and helpful and kind to one another, tenderhearted (compassionate, understanding, loving-hearted), forgiving one another [readily and freely], as God in Christ forgave you.”

Luke 6:37 AMP “…acquit and forgive and release (give up resentment; let it drop), and you will be acquitted and forgiven and released.”

Why is forgiveness so hard sometimes? And why is it that life sometimes catches you off guard and you find yourself instantly in a situation where you know you need to forgive – but your flesh desires to nurse the offense and hang onto it just a little while, just long enough for that bitterness to start to well up…

That happened to me this week… My father-in-law is here visiting for a week. He will be here thru this coming Sunday. This is no big deal, no problem. He is very laid back, very easy to please, very appreciative of anything we do for him, and we are all enjoying his visit. The boys are absolutely loving having him here – I just fear they are being too demanding of his time, they desire to play with him constantly!

So, the incident which brings up my need to extend forgiveness… My husband gets a call from a cousin who is coming through town Saturday. Without discussing it with me first, he invites 7 people to spend the night here Saturday night! I hear him on the phone saying he will just have to ask for forgiveness! I feel the rage and the stress building!! I am a planner, I am an organizer – and this bit of information seems to throw my life in CHAOS!

I am thinking: where will they all sleep, what will I feed them all for dinner and breakfast, even snacks, how can that many people shower and get dressed on time on Sunday morning – we have to go to church, how will I get my house clean again while we still have company, I have already bought groceries for the next 2 weeks, I will have to go to the store again, and on and on the thoughts go.

I even wrote a short, frustrated and irate sounding post, posted it for about 10 minutes but then deleted it – the Lord would not let me leave it up.

I know I need to forgive him BUT… He does not seem to understand why this has upset me. I told him he should at least consult with his wife before inviting 7 people to spend the night, say you need to talk to your wife and you will call them back. I would not have said no, I just wanted to be consulted. It made me feel unappreciated and like all that I do is taken for granted.

The whole time I am mentally ranting and raving, that still small voice is saying “You need to forgive him.” But I reply, “He hasn’t asked for forgiveness, he hasn’t even apologized…” The still small voice replies, “That does not matter, I command you to forgive, whether he ever asks or says he is sorry.”

So, I have forgiven him. That night as we were laying in bed, I had to force myself to tell him that I forgave him for hurting my feelings and not talking to me about having overnight guests before committing to it. He did not apologize then, but he did the next day… but why was it so hard? It is the battle of the flesh against the Spirit, they do not like each other. I strongly desire to be more controlled by the Spirit rather than my flesh, what about you?

Is there someone in your life that you need to forgive? Even if they never apologize or ask for your forgiveness, God has commanded us in His Word that we are to forgive. Ask Him to enable you to forgive, do not let the bitterness, anger, or rage build up for one more minute, one more day. Forgive, and walk in the freedom and abundant life that Christ has for you!


Luke 17:4 AMP “And even if he sins against you seven times in a day, and turns to you seven times and says, I repent [I am sorry], you must forgive him (give up resentment and consider the offense as recalled and annulled).”

Col. 3:13 AMP “Be gentle and forbearing with one another and, if one has a difference (a grievance or complaint) against another, readily pardoning each other; even as the Lord has [freely] forgiven you, so must you also [forgive].”

1 Peter 4:8 AMP “Above all things have intense and unfailing love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins [forgives and disregards the offenses of others].”

Holding on...

Tricia

6 comments:

Krista said...

That was exactly what I needed to hear, my friend. In fact, I looked at the title and thought, "oh no...I am not even going to read it" which showed me how much I really NEEDED to read it. So I did, and I could feel my spirit soften while I read it. :)

I think that you are a very gracious wife and hostess. On the bright side of things, 7 guests means 7 extra babysitters if you need to get some "mom" time.

I will be praying for you this weekend. Love you girl!

70x7,
Krista

Darlene said...

Forgiveness is not always easy. I think sometimes PRIDE sets in and makes us think we don't need to do this. But, Oh how much better we feel when we do.

You could send them all to Kids Kamp. j/k

Praying your weekend will be fun.
Blessings,
Darlene

Michelle C. said...

Hey there- I like this post. Real and honest. My first thought was "it's Tricia- of course she can handle 7 guests." I bet that's what your hubby thought too when he didn't consul tyou first. He has A LOT of faith and confidence in you!

Theresa said...

This is my first visit to your blog. I love it. I'll be back.

I found you through Jenny...standing at the water...

Theresa

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Excellent post.

DeeDee said...

So glad that you were able to work this through... it can be so hard even when we know what to do.

I agree with Michelle - I thought about this when I was reading the post - it really is a compliment that your husband just knew that you could handle it. :)

Love you gal!