MY JOURNEY


Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

(Psalms 119:105 ESV)

Whether I am rejoicing or in deep distress; succeeding or struggling; laughing or weeping; I am striving to hold on to the truths of God's Word. And I want to share with you.

So... grab a cup of coffee or tea...and join me in my journey...

Friday, June 27, 2008

June 27, 2008

Live Connection or Online Interaction

I read today, on the Facebook of an acquaintance of mine, in the "about me" section a quote... "I prefer live connection to online interaction." The statement made me pause. And well, if you know me much, it takes a good bit to make me pause. Usually it has to be some LONG narrative, or something bad to "make me pause." But today, those few words got me thinking. Here are the thoughts.

First, I thought about how much I look forward to getting on my computer. Daily. Hourly. Every time I have been away. For hopes of some new interaction with someone. Anyone. Someone I know. Some complete stranger. I REALLY look forward to getting a blog comment, an email from a friend, a facebook/myspace comment or message. I just LOVE to see numbers of unread messages on my screen. I actually feel disappointed when there are no new numbers! So, my thoughts after reading this statement went first of all to this addiction that I have to online interaction. How much do I really pursue online interaction?

Too much probably.

How much of an impact is my life really going to leave from the other side of a computer screen?

Not much honestly.

I do not really expect, with the hoards of wonderful bloggers out there that my blog is something that will ever truly make a change in someone's life. Honestly, it’s not my gift. Sure, I can write, and I am not downplaying it, but it’s much harder for me to "show" love - as we are commanded to do - from the other side of a computer screen! Especially when I don't even know who might read it. And posting my favorite pictures is great and all, especially since my family can't readily see my pics unless I post them, however, what difference do those pics really make in the long run?

The Second direction this thought took me is this... In all this, do I prefer live connection to my Father? Honestly? Or is it more of an "online interaction." Where I place my requests, or post my prayers, in hopes He will read them and send a "comment" back into my life? Even if He does "comment" Do I look forward to that interaction with Him as I should? I take that back - God doesn't "comment" our lives, God is actively pursuing me with a passion I can hardly understand. Why do I simply want to anonymously post information to Him? Where is my heart's desire for "live connection" for my Creator, the one who, whether I acknowledge Him or not, is holding my life, literally, in the palm of His hand? I want my passion for Him - for His heart - for LIVE CONNECTION to be stronger than my desire for "online (dare I say... superficial?) interaction."

Maybe those two thoughts are in reverse order as far as priorities. Actually, I know that they are, but that is the order in which they arrived in my brain as I read that statement - and so that is the order in which I wanted to share them.

My prayer, is not that any of us would quit doing things that bring us joy (facebook.myspace.blogs.emails. etc.) but that our passions would begin to lie MORE in our live connection to our Father, and in our love to be shown to the world around us.

A perfectly written post is a wonderful thing, and has great potential - but a hug for a child who is hurting, or a lady who needs someone to listen will just go so much further. Let us keep encouraging our sisters (and brothers) in Christ through our connections on this internet - but let us keep our passions focused in the right direction.

Holding On...
Julia

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Julia,
You definitely spoke to me this morning. Blogging is addictive. I set down to journal and find myself popping all over the place. God speaks to me through others, but I sometimes wonder if I use all the blogging to avoid live contact with people. What if I spent as much live time in contact with my blogging time? Gives me pause for wonder. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Julia, you have put into words the thoughts that have been in my heart for a long time. We have so many ladies who are not connected by computers that may be left out of our loop. How much more enriching our lives will be if we personally reach out to someone instead of relying on cyberspace to be our feet, arms and mouths. We need to be a blessing to those that we can touch around us. Thanks for your insight.