MY JOURNEY


Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

(Psalms 119:105 ESV)

Whether I am rejoicing or in deep distress; succeeding or struggling; laughing or weeping; I am striving to hold on to the truths of God's Word. And I want to share with you.

So... grab a cup of coffee or tea...and join me in my journey...

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 25, 2008

I Am the True Vine

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.

These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full." John 15:1-11



I have been reading “Secrets of the Vine” by Bruce Wilkinson. I have just been amazed at how the above passage has been broken down and explained so wonderfully It is explained through the process of grapes growing on the vine. You will have to read the book to get the whole scripture above but what really touched me was the following (Paraphrased of course):

New branches of a grapevine naturally trail along the ground. There is no fruit near the end of the vine and the leaves get covered with dust. When the rain comes they get muddy and mildew. Therefore, this branch is “sick” or useless. The Vinedresser sees that this branch is not fruitful so he takes a bucket of water and carefully washes the leaves and then ties the branch up on the trellis. Before long, this lifeless branch is then thriving.

Is this not what God does for us when we are wayward believers?

Sin is the dirt that is on us and it takes away joy. When the air and light do not get in, no fruit develops. He wants us to thrive and be fruitful. The Vinedresser feels abundance and joy when he tends to a dirty branch.

Just as Christ is overjoyed when we spend time with Him so that we will continue to grow and thrive in our relationship with Him. God’s actions are intended to nudge us lovingly, wisely, and persistently toward the life and character that we desire (and He desires for us).


So what about you?

Are you a dirty leaf in need of the Vinedresser to pick you up?
Or..
Are you a nice, full fruitful vine?

Holding On...
Mitzi

4 comments:

Krista said...

Excellent post, Mitzi. I like to say that every single day I am that beautiful vine full of fruit. The truth is sometimes my vine is covered in fruit and sometimes my vine is dragging the ground and covered in yuck. It's a wonderful reminder to take inventory of my fruit bearing.

Pressing On toward the goal,Krista

Darlene said...

This is good. My vine is full of fruit some days and others...well bring on the rain! Some days I need the rain several times in one day. I am being honest...here. I have days where I don't struggle and days where it is constant struggle. Lately, I have come across several blogs about showing love. When you compound that with the message Bro. Hal spoke on a couple of weeks ago on Loving your neighbor as yourself. Well, this is one of the fruits that I need to work on. I need to show the love. God is still tweeking me into the person HE wants me to be. Some days this is hard! I am so thankful that the Vinedresser is not giving up on this vine and is tenderly taking care of me.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Tricia said...

I love that post, what a wonderful depiction of what Christ does for us! I may just have to add that book to my list of books to read!

DeeDee said...

It has been awhile since I read that book... but you have reminded me of how moving/convicting/touching it was.

Thanks for sharing with us!